Here are the steps this article shares to help you improve how you care for yourself and your mind:
- Make a date with yourself. Spend an hour alone doing something that nourishes you, not work or things on your to-do list (reading, your hobby, walking around the neighborhood, visiting a museum or gallery, etc.).
- Praise yourself when you do something awesome.
- Read books and watch movies you enjoy.
- Paint or write something that lets out your creative energy.
- Learn something new, research something you’re interested in.
- Take a class for fun.
- Take a quick nap. Only 10 to 20 minutes can reduce your sleep debt and leave you ready for action.
- Learn mindfulness or connect with a spiritual practice that vibes with you.
- Eat something you enjoy.
- Have a long bath or shower, sit around in your bathrobe, and read magazines.
- Do one thing just because it makes you happy like my flowers in the video.
- Do a mini-declutter. Recycle three things from your wardrobe that you don’t love or regularly wear or clean out your backpack/purse.
- Help someone. Carry a bag, open a door, or pick up an extra carton of milk for a neighbor.
- Stretch. 5-10 minutes to get out the kinks helps your body and mind.
- Run or walk for a few minutes. Or go up and down the stairs two at a time, get your heart rate up.
- Touch a pet. If you don’t have one, go to the park or animal shelter and ask to touch one.
- Give your body comfort. Pick something from your wardrobe that feels great next to your skin.
- Use lotion or a product that makes you happy.
- Spend time with real friends and other people who lift you up.